With more than 1,500 members around the world, AAJA is a community of journalists, academics, entrepreneurs and students who are committed to advancing diversity in the news industry. An annual membership includes:
- Membership rate tickets and early access to AAJA networking events and workshops
- Membership rate registration to AAJA’s national convention and N3Con in Asia
- Access to career and fellowship opportunities via AAJA’s Career Center, private social media channels and Affinity Groups
- Access to our upcoming member opportunities page with a listing of training opportunities, fellowships, grants and more
- Early access to AAJA updates, scholarships and exclusive member opportunities via bi-monthly e-newsletter
- Entry fee waiver for AAJA’s national journalism awards contest
- Recognition on AAJA.org of special achievements or career moves
- Significant discounts on UPS, AP online stylebook, Poynter on-site courses, CUNY J+ workshops and courses and other services (for more information and access to these benefits, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
There are additional benefits for members who upgrade to Gold or Platinum membership. AAJA membership lasts for one year after your join date.
To sign up for membership using a paper membership form, or to request a reduced member fees application (for recently unemployed members or those undergoing financial hardship), please email email@example.com.
There are two ways to join AAJA:
- Register online (select Chicago as your preferred chapter)
- Request a paper membership from firstname.lastname@example.org
The Asian American Journalists Association offers multiple tiers of membership, depending on the stage of your career. Please note that AAJA membership dues are not tax deductible.
FULL – $65
For those who spend the majority of their time producing journalism or hiring journalists. Full membership is also available to those who have left journalism but who have been AAJA members and/or journalists for five or more years.
ASSOCIATE – $65
Open to former journalists, public or community affairs representatives of news companies. Associate members are NOT eligible to vote and cannot hold national office except for Treasurer/VP of Finance.
GOLD FULL – $100
Full and Associate members interested in upgrading to the Gold membership receive additional benefits, such as perks at the National Convention.
GOLD ASSOCIATE – $100
Associate members interested in upgrading to the Gold Associate membership receive additional benefits, such as perks at the National Convention.
STUDENT – $25
Open to enrolled high school, undergraduate, or graduate students who intend to pursue a career in journalism.
RETIRED – $25
Available to persons age 62 and over who have previously worked full or part-time as a journalist. Retired members are not eligible to vote or hold office, except for Treasurer.
PLATINUM – $750
In addition to the benefits of Gold membership, Platinum membership includes the cost of registration for the AAJA National Convention, VIP seating at the AAJA Gala dinner and an invitation to the AAJA President’s Reception.
CORPORATE – $1,500
Media companies interested in advancing AAJA’s mission will receive the following benefits:
- Unlimited career listings on AAJA’s jobs board for one year
- 10% discount on advertisements in AAJA’s convention book
- One-year subscription to AAJA’s newsletter
- Recognition on AAJA’s national web site during year of corporate membership
- Unlimited access to AAJA member uploaded résumés until the end of the calendar year
- One complimentary registration to AAJA’s National Convention